A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE RISING SUN
A brief and interesting history of The House of the Rising Sun now a wonderful Pub and Italian Restaurant in Mill Hill - if you know more facts about the pubs history then please email us.
Built in the 1600's and originally called 'The Sun'.
Became The Rising Sun. (Totteridge villagers lodged a complaint against the tenant John Benon - his alehouse is of no use than to debauch the poor of the neighbourhood, being a disorderly tippling house).
Sir Stamford Raffles, Founder of Singapore
The inn became part of the estate of Lord William Russell. He lived in Highwood House and was later beheaded for his part in a plot to exclude Charles II's Catholic brother James from succession in favour of Charles illegitimate, but Protestant son, the Duke of Monmouth.
The Ghost and legend In 1690 Ann Clark, a victualler was forbidden to allow card games and back gammon or bowls in her backyard. She did and broke the law and lost her licence. It is believed this is the reason for her haunting The Rising Sun.
The Rising Sun alehouse is shown on a map on Edward Parsons land at Highwood Hill and Hitchen. It was a much needed resting place for horses and drovers.
Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore bought Highwood House and thus acquired the Rising Sun.
The inn was separated from the estate of Highwood House and Charles Weedon, tenant of Mote farm became the licensee.
The Inn was visited by Eroll Flynn and Trevor Howard.